Find current due dates and answers to your questions here.
Step 1: After sending us your application, our jury will review and evaluate all applications.
Step 2: After a first selection, we will set up 15 minute calls with you in order to review the formal criteria and address your specific questions
Step 3: If your idea is selected, you will be invited for interviews to the Selection Day. If you are successfull -> Welcome to the Startup Harbour program!!!
Who can apply?
1. This local funding program supported by the ESF and Senate Department of Economics Berlin is open to all founders based and registered in Berlin.
2. If you or any of the team members have previously received EXIST or the Berlin Startup Stipend, those persons cannot participate in the program. This program can also not be combined with other startup grants like the "Gründungszuschuss" of the Employment Agency (Arbeitsagentur).
3. To be eligible, your startup must not yet be commercially active. This means that your registration at the “Gewerbeamt” (the date of your “Gewerbeschein”) must not date back more than 3 months prio to your application.
4. All team members must work full time (at least 143 hours per month) on the startup venture for the duration of the program. Secondary employment is permitted but has to be communicated to us.
5. Your startup must not have received more than 200,000 Euros in public funding over the last 3 years (De-minimis rule).
How do I apply?
Do I need to have founded a company already?
No, you can also take part in the program without actually having founded your company yet. However, you should have the intention to do so during or directly after the program.
Do I have to register my company in Berlin?
Yes, if you register a company during the program, you have to register the company in Berlin.
If you have already founded your company somewhere else but Berlin, you would need to move it to Berlin.
How mature does my idea have to be?
- 1. Your idea must be an innovative, technology focused and/or science-based solution, which brings clear benefit to your target group.
- 2. You should bring initial considerations of your target market and groups as well as potential competitors and show at least the beginnings of a prototype or concept.
- 3. It is beneficial, if your idea meets one of the defined focus areas.
Can I apply for this program on my own?
Our program places great emphasis on teamwork and the people behind the idea. We look for great, balanced teams who have a full range of skills. Funding is provided to teams between 2 and 4 members.
Single founders cannot join the program.
Is there a limit on team size?
The program supports teams of between 2 and a maximum of 4 people. If you happen to have a larger team, regrettably only 4 team members will be able to receive the funding.
Do I have to be a resident of Berlin?
Yes, you must – and this applies to all your team members who want to join the program as well. Only people officially registered as residents in Berlin can receive financial support.
How does the program work?
The incubation program runs for 6 months. In every of the first 5 months we will run an onsite Bootcamp including training sessions that focus on all the important areas to build a sustainable venture. During the first month, for example, all teams go through a process of validating their business idea. At the same time, you work with your coaches to identify your individual coaching needs. Together, we will tailor a coaching plan to give you the support that you need. The plan is supplemented by regular individual Deep Dive Sessions and meetings with mentors.
Where will we work for the duration of the program / Do I have to be on site with Bosch the whole time?
You will be granted access to the Bosch IoT Campus in Berlin for the duration of the program. You are not required to work from the campus, but we strongly recommend that you make use of the site. The campus offers valuable facilities, and you are close to your mentors.
All modules, coaching sessions and similar events take place on site. For these, your attendance is required.
Please note: Due to restrictions to help contain Corona virus, currently all program elements are organized in digital formats.
How much funding do I get and do I need to tax it?
Each founder /team member (2-4 members) will receive a monthly funding of 1,800 € per person for the duration of 6 months. An extension is not possible.
Since we do not establish an employment relationship with you, you need to take care of your health insurance, unemployment insurance, or pension insurance during the funding period.
As there is no rule, your local tax office (Finanzamt) will determine whether the funding is subject to income tax. You need to declare your scholarship in your annual tax declaration.
Do I have to stay in Berlin once the program ends?
You need to be registered in Berlin throughout the program. Afterwards, you can move wherever you want to.
Does my idea belong to Bosch afterwards or does Bosch take shares in my startup?
Bosch has no desire to “steal” ideas from you or use them purely for its own advantage. Bosch also does not take any share in your startup.
The incubation program is designed to put you in contact with the people you need to take your idea to the next level. It remains entirely up to you how closely you want to work with Bosch.